Thread: Toshiba Tecra M11-11M

dmdougie
    Badges
    Loading, please wait...

Toshiba Tecra M11-11M

Just used SlimComputer on the above brand new laptop. It didn't pick up on a few things, I thought I'd share to be incorporated / taken into consideration for the full version.

Startup items:
    TOSHIBA 180 Degrees Rotation Utility
    TOSHIBA TEMPRO
    TOSHIBA USB Sleep and Charge
    TOSHIBA Web Camera Application

Junk Programs
    Amazon.co.uk
    Bing Bar
    eBay
    Sype Toolbars

Other than the omission of the above software, I liked SlimComputer. One thing I thought could be improved on would be an unattend uninstallation of the components. It was quite annoying to have to answer all the popups to all the software I was trying to uninstall.

Looking forward to the full version

It's all in the ratings!

HI!

Your posting caught my eye. This is a good one and a question I'm glad to answer.

Are these programs that did NOT show up in the scan or are did they show up but were not marked for removal?

If they showed up but were not marked then I can shed some light onto that mystery.

SlimComputer uses community based ratings to provide recommendations for your computer. For example: The Bing Bar that you consider "junk" (I think it's "junk" too) has a rating high enough amongst the consensus of our users that it should not be removed. If a rating surpasses a certain threshold it is ignored by SlimComputer for removal.

But here's the best part...

If you think it's garbage, rate it! RATE IT!!! If you really, really think it's junk then give it a bad rating. SlimComputer will remember that personalized rating for you. So if it ever gets back on your computer say in some kind of bundle with another freeware program, it will be marked for removal next time SlimComputer sees it in a scan.

The community is powering SlimComputer. Us everyday users can put our votes together and say what should and should not be on our computers. It's giving us a louder voice to say: "Hey, quit putting junk on my nice, new computer!"

Rate every piece of software you find! You'll be providing everyone with a better insight as to what to keep and what to trash.

Now, to explain these other processes...

TOSHIBA 180 Degrees Rotation Utility: This readjusts your screen display when you rotate the tablet's screen. I don't recommend removing this as it will effect functionality.

TOSHIBA TEMPRO: Toshiba TEMPRO is a utility that is implemented to fine tune the PC settings to achieve peak system performance. Toshiba boasts that this can improve system performance, but I'm not sure. We can do that for you right here by teaching you a few tricks and using our apps. I'm guessing it won't cost you nearly as much memory or processor speed either

TOSHIBA USB Sleep and Charge: This process allows you to charge devices via USB ports even when the laptop is sleeping or the lid is closed. If you charge any devices this way I'd leave it be; otherwise, obliterate it

TOSHIBA Web Camera Application: This process pre-loads some files necessary for your web cam on startup. It's not necessary to run as these files will be loaded upon a manual launch of the web cam; however, it does improve the launch time by being enabled (I can wait, can you?).

The other programs you've listed have a rating high enough to be ignored. I have no idea how the amazon shortcut made it, or the ebay shortcut for that matter! LOLZ

As for the uninstallers...
    :\
    Perhaps in the future that process will be more automated.

Thanks for your post! This was a great opportunity to explain the rating system!
    Post back if this was helpful and with any other opinions you have. Thanks for using the forums and don't forget to rate your software!
    Last edited by Ryan; 09-08-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: misinformation
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

We are user-friendly software. Check out all of our products here.

This is a tablet pc right?
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

dmdougie
    Badges
    Loading, please wait...
    Thanks for the fast reply Ryan, impressive. No, it's not a tablet actually. I too was confused as to why the 180 degree utility would be installed on a regular laptop!

Thanks for explaining the the rating system to me. I'll know next time how to work it better. I come into contact with lot's of new computers of all shapes and sizes so am very interested in your software.

I'm surprised that automating the uninstallation would be illegal. We automate installations all the time at work, and I don't see why uninstallation should be any different. In a way, you're giving permission to uninstall by running the app anyway :S

Bob
    Badges
    Loading, please wait...
    It's not illegal -- think Ryan misunderstood a conversation from a while ago. Kaspersky vs Zango lawsuit says we can remove whatever we want without issue However, at the moment, it is impractical. We would have to footprint the file and registry locations of every single application out there, much like an antivirus scanner, to be able to automatically remove it. Not only is that time consuming, it is also dangerous as some applications often overlap file/registry locations. I could go on about this -- trust me, it's a feature we'd love to have, but it just isn't in the scope of the application at the moment.

Can you see that 180 degree utility running on your computer or is SlimComputer perhaps picking it up even though it's not there?
    Last edited by Ryan; 09-08-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: grammar

dmdougie
    Badges
    Loading, please wait...
    Thanks for clearing that up Bob. That's a shame the process can't be automated. I can understand that automating the uninstallation process is a lot more difficult than auntomating the installation process.

Ryan - it's the other way around. SlimComputer didn't detect the 180 degree utility installed on the computer.

Which leads to my next question, does the software ONLY detect processes that are currently running?

Bob
    Badges
    Loading, please wait...
    Hmm, when you say it didn't detect it on your computer, are you talking about looking at the "Uninstall" section, or the main scan portion of the application? The main scan portion will only show items we recommend for removal, while the "Uninstall" section shows everything that Windows' "Add/Remove Programs" dialog shows, which is everything installed on your computer.

To answer the question, we don't just deal with running processes, we analyze anything that is set to run automatically at some point in your computing experience, not just currently running processes.

thanks for the replies