Thread: Cannot Restore

Cannot Restore

In mid-May of this year I performed a clean install of Win8.0, updated to Win8.1, made a few configurations and used RecImg Manager to create an image for backup. I ran a test restore at that time and all went well.

Today, however, things aren't working as well. For reasons not important here, I need to restore from that image; I'm now asked to insert the original Windows installation disk. When I do so and try again, I get the same prompt. The restore can't proceed. Screen shots are below.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Jeff Bowman
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Screenshot (1).jpgScreenshot (2).jpg

Did you change the partition structure of the system drive? Windows 8 installs several files which comprise the "recovery environment". If these are not where Windows expects them, it could result in such an error.

To troubleshoot, start by opening an Admin level command prompt and executing the following commands...

bcdedit /enum all > %userprofile%\Desktop\bcdedit.txt

Upload the log file here or simply paste the contents. We are specifically looking for a "Windows Boot Loader" entry that has an identifier value of {current}
    Last edited by Ryan; 10-23-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

We are user-friendly software. Check out all of our products here.

Hi Ryan, thanks for your speedy reply.

Update: It seems now that I'm going to have to replace a completely crashed HDD--the one containing the OS. Once I have the new drive in hand and installed, what will be the best way to proceed in restoring from the May image? (The image is on a separate HDD for safety.)

Thanks,
    Jeff Bowman
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Jeff, RecImg snapshots are .WIM files created by Windows recimg.exe. They are not full disk images, just system partition images. That means you can't install the OS from the image. You will have to install Windows 8 to the drive before you try to restore the old image. After you've installed the OS, you should just be able to install RecImg Manager, copy the snapshot to the RecImg Snapshots directory and RecImg Manager will auto-discover it.
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

Hi Ryan

Very well then, that's what I'll do. I'll try it first under Win8.0; if that doesn't work I'll endure the pain of the Win8.1 update across my slow connection.

Thanks,
    Jeff Bowman
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Hi Ryan

As it turns out, the HDD is OK for the present. Here's the log file, attached (BcdEdit.txt).

Come to think of it, yes I did edit the partition--good catch! I first saved the image in a separate partition on the system HDD (source), and then later installed a second HDD and moved the image to there (target). I then deleted the source partition and extended the system partition. I didn't think it would be of any consequence, but apparently it was.

Is there hope for recovery?

(FYI the .VHDX entry is no longer valid; I first set it up as a native boot, until I learned the hard way that the Win8.1 upgrade doesn't support native boot.)

Thanks,
    Jeff Bowman
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Hey jeff, sorry but I don't think you will be able to use that image because it is expecting the system partition to be a different size. I am very sorry for the inconvenience, but Windows' recimg.exe doesn't support partition changes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ...Windows' recimg.exe doesn't support partition changes like that.
    Oh well, them's the breaks :-)

Don't feel so bad about it. I enjoy reinstalling Windows ;-)

I really appreciate your help and your expertise.

Thanks,
    Jeff Bowman
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Last edited by jeff.bowman; 10-27-2014 at 03:27 PM.