Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restore Error

Restore Error

I am experiencing an error when I am trying to do a Image Restore. The restore gets to 95% and then reboots. Then at approx. 3% I receive the following error>

Install Windows

Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation.

I tried several of the images I created all produced the same result.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Dave

This might happen if you are trying to revert to a refresh image created in Windows 8 if you have upgraded to 8.1. You cannot use refresh to revert an upgrade from 8 to 8.1.
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

We are user-friendly software. Check out all of our products here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This might happen if you are trying to revert to a refresh image created in Windows 8 if you have upgraded to 8.1. You cannot use refresh to revert an upgrade from 8 to 8.1.
    Ryan,

Unfortunately that isn't it. All the images I am using are after the upgrade to 8.1.

The restoration process is facilitated by Windows. RecImg Manager simply initiates it. Unfortunately, if Windows refuses the image, there is little that can be done to fix it.

Let's try using the command prompt to initiate the restore.

Run this in an administrative command prompt

Code:
    recimg.exe /setcurrent <folder name>
    Where <folder name> should be replaced with the path to the folder containing the image you want to use. For example

Code:
    recimg.exe /setcurrent c:\RecImg Snapshots\3-3-14-8-30-AM
    Then, restore the selected image from the control panel using the System Refresh function.
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

The restoration process is facilitated by Windows. RecImg Manager simply initiates it. Unfortunately, if Windows refuses the image, there is little that can be done to fix it.

Let's try using the command prompt to initiate the restore.

Run this in an administrative command prompt

Code:
    recimg.exe /setcurrent <folder name>
    Where <folder name> should be replaced with the path to the folder containing the image you want to use. For example

Code:
    recimg.exe /setcurrent c:\RecImg Snapshots\3-3-14-8-30-AM
    Then, restore the selected image from the control panel using the System Refresh function.
    Ryan,

Thanks. I believe that there must be something wrong with the images. Do any applications like dropbox, etc. cause problems with it?

Also, you say that this software works with the "Refresh" routine in Windows 8. If I do the above "setcurrent" routine, will it also work with "Recycle"?

Applications like Dropbox leave mount point references that can cause problems when restoring the image. Any images created with empty mount point references will suffer this issue. This is in the recimg API and may only be resolved by an official Microsoft update.

This software is the same thing as using the Refresh and System Reset in Windows 8 respectively. RecImg Manager simply allows you to create custom refresh images and save them to different locations. This functionality is not implemented in Windows 8. RecImg Manager uses the recimg.exe file (native Windows) to facilitate the actual backup/restore process.

In short, it aims to be more user-friendly than the Windows interface.

However, due to limitations in Windows native code that have yet to be updated, these issues are mis-translated as "problems" with RecImg Manager, when the issue is actually coming from Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Recycle". Can you elaborate on that a bit more please.

Thanks!

Applications like Dropbox leave mount point references that can cause problems when restoring the image. Any images created with empty mount point references will suffer this issue. This is in the recimg API and may only be resolved by an official Microsoft update.

This software is the same thing as using the Refresh and System Reset in Windows 8 respectively. RecImg Manager simply allows you to create custom refresh images and save them to different locations. This functionality is not implemented in Windows 8. RecImg Manager uses the recimg.exe file (native Windows) to facilitate the actual backup/restore process.

In short, it aims to be more user-friendly than the Windows interface.

However, due to limitations in Windows native code that have yet to be updated, these issues are mis-translated as "problems" with RecImg Manager, when the issue is actually coming from Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Recycle". Can you elaborate on that a bit more please.

Thanks!
    Ryan,

First of all I would like to say that the reason I gravitated toward your software in the first place was due to the inability to easily create custom images with Windows 8. Once I upgraded to 8.1, I would need to go all the way back to 8 and start over if I "Refreshed the machine. What I mean by "Recycle" is "Remove everything and reinstall Windows". You have the option to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files", "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" (recycle), or Advanced startup. By default, I think your software does a Refresh using a custom image that was created by recimg.exe. Correct? What I am wondering is if I used the "setcurrent" command as stated above and then selected "Remove everything and reinstall Windows", would it use your custom image instead of the factory install?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidbecht01 View Post
    Ryan,

First of all I would like to say that the reason I gravitated toward your software in the first place was due to the inability to easily create custom images with Windows 8. Once I upgraded to 8.1, I would need to go all the way back to 8 and start over if I "Refreshed the machine. What I mean by "Recycle" is "Remove everything and reinstall Windows". You have the option to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files", "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" (recycle), or Advanced startup. By default, I think your software does a Refresh using a custom image that was created by recimg.exe. Correct? What I am wondering is if I used the "setcurrent" command as stated above and then selected "Remove everything and reinstall Windows", would it use your custom image instead of the factory install?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Ryan,

Also, as for the dropbox issue. How can I get around it? Would it be enough to uninstall Dropbox before creating a image.

Dave

And that feature is where RecImg Manager enters.

I think I understand where I'm getting confused. What you're calling "Recycle" I've always known to be called "System Reset". A System Reset (Recycle) will remove everything and re-install Windows. A Refresh is the equivalent of System Restore in Windows XP, Vista and 7 - no user files are touched. I see now where "recycle" is coming from. It seems Microsoft has changed the messaging in the UI. The text is different than in 8 so I was confused. I believe this feature is officially called "system reset".

By default, if no custom images have been made, RecImg Manager will use the same default refresh snapshot that is created when the operating system is first installed.

The system reset (Remove everything and reinstall Windows) is not a custom image. It is a default image that RecImg Manager does not change. This image will set you back to first-run state. Effectually, you are literally re-installing Windows 8.

The "/setcurrent" flag is for setting the default "Refresh" image. You cannot change the "Reset" image from the command line because there is only 1 reset image. There can be multiple refresh images but only 1 may be set at a time and that is done by either creating a new image, or setting the default image with "recimg.exe /setcurrent".

Addendum,

Uninstalling Dropbox and rebooting the computer, will in most cases remove any floating/empty mount point references and eliminate the problem, but sometimes they are still left behind. You can manually list and manage mount points and other disk related metadata using the DiskPart command-line utility native to Windows. But I must warn you to be careful. DiskPart is a powerful utility and you can inadvertently mess up critical settings for the OS disk if you're not careful.
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-05-2014 at 08:32 AM.

And that feature is where RecImg Manager enters.

I think I understand where I'm getting confused. What you're calling "Recycle" I've always known to be called "System Reset". A System Reset (Recycle) will remove everything and re-install Windows. A Refresh is the equivalent of System Restore in Windows XP, Vista and 7 - no user files are touched. I see now where "recycle" is coming from. It seems Microsoft has changed the messaging in the UI. The text is different than in 8 so I was confused. I believe this feature is officially called "system reset".

By default, if no custom images have been made, RecImg Manager will use the same default refresh snapshot that is created when the operating system is first installed.

The system reset (Remove everything and reinstall Windows) is not a custom image. It is a default image that RecImg Manager does not change. This image will set you back to first-run state. Effectually, you are literally re-installing Windows 8.

The "/setcurrent" flag is for setting the default "Refresh" image. You cannot change the "Reset" image from the command line because there is only 1 reset image. There can be multiple refresh images but only 1 may be set at a time and that is done by either creating a new image, or setting the default image with "recimg.exe /setcurrent".

Addendum,

Uninstalling Dropbox and rebooting the computer, will in most cases remove any floating/empty mount point references and eliminate the problem, but sometimes they are still left behind. You can manually list and manage mount points and other disk related metadata using the DiskPart command-line utility native to Windows. But I must warn you to be careful. DiskPart is a powerful utility and you can inadvertently mess up critical settings for the OS disk if you're not careful.
    Thanks very much for the clarification. Hopefully, the by uninstalling Dropbox I will be able to solve the main issue I have been having.