Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate Files Finder Question

Duplicate Files Finder Question

I'm trying to use the duplicate files finder option, but, I'm not totally understanding it. Are all the files that pull up under each folder a duplicate or is one the original? If its the latter how do I know which file to keep and which ones to delete? I don't want to mess up how anything is running by deleting the wrong thing. Please help!

I will try to help you as best I can. Say the duplicate file finder presents two files, both named "FILE1.txt". The list shows all instances of files with this name. If you delete both of them, there is no original. It is your choice to delete, one or the other, or both. How you make this determination is entirely subjective as only you know the exact contents of your files. Things like, music, pictures, or videos I could not advise you on how to proceed because they are yours personally.

The duplicate file finder will not list items that are essential to your computer system. This does not include program files, but only Windows core files. The listed files should also provide in detail the directory that they reside in. You can check the listed directories to see where the files are and make a more informed decision then. I hope this helps. If you need any further assistance, please let me know.
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

We are user-friendly software. Check out all of our products here.

Thanks, that helps alot. Since I don't understand what alot of the files are, though, could I just delete all files except one within each folder and be fine? That way I'm only deleting the dupes and not completely removing anything right? As I'm going through each folder should I keep the file that is the oldest or does it matter?

I'm only thinking of doing this since it said I had 5400 dupe files out of 7500 and I figure it will free up alot of memory. Is that true or will I not gain much?

Yes, it would be safe to delete all duplicate files except for one. You will reclaim a lot of disk space by deleting duplicate files.
    Thanks for using the forums! Your feedback helps us to improve our software every day.

New to SlimWare? Check out our Facebook page for the all of the latest news and goings on here at SlimWare Utilities, inc.

Awesome, thanks!!

I went through and cleaned out alot, but, there 500+ files that wouldn't delete due to an error. I tried opening them up from their actual locations to find out what they were, but, simply got another error that said they couldn't be opened because they might be damaged in some way. Any ideas on how I find out what these are and how to delete them?

What is the exact error message that you receive when trying to delete the files?

It just says Delete Error-file failed to delete. When I try opening one of the files it makes me select a program to open it with and whatever I choose it either says 'could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damage' or I just get a screen of random characters. I did find that I can shred the files. I tried shredding one and then going back to the dupe files finder to delete it, but, still got the same error. Not sure what is going on. All of the files I am having issues with seem to be in C:\ under a folder titled N360_Backup. Here's examples:C:\N360_BACKUP\{839421E4-5B5B-4099-AD2D-87AF4DC17EFB}\{4, C:\N360_BACKUP\{839421E4-5B5B-4099-AD2D-87AF4DC17EFB}\{D. I don't know if that helps at all.

There is also one folder that says it has 3 dupes worth 8.8GB, but, when I open it there are only 3 files listed worth 25.1MB. Any ideas?

maria21,

Those files are a part of your Norton 360 backup. They are a backup of your computer and I would not recommend deleting them unless you no longer use Norton and the backup is very old. You cannot delete them right now because of a software feature called Norton Tamper Protection. It prevents you from deleting those files. To delete them, you have to turn of Norton Tamper Protection in anti-virus softwares' settings.

I'm not using Norton anymore. I uninstalled it from my computer awhile back. Now I have Mcafee and I'm planning on getting a different security/antivirus system pretty soon. Can I dump them once I've got the new system installed?