PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video adapter card cannot be fully updated

omegaman
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
My video card cannot be fully updated from SlimDrivers; in fact there is no new update when I try to download a new driver program for my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card from System Properties> Device Manager> Display adapters> Driver tab, then I click on the Update Driver command button. When I try to download the supposed new driver from SlimWare Utilities, it goes halfway and stays there for hours while the CPU is working at 100%, so what do I do if there is indeed a new driver that I need to download. By the way, the same thing happens with my Canon LiDE 20 flat bed scanner (that I bought in late 2003). Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

omegaman.

Ryan
04-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Hello omegaman,

You should not be running at 100% load while using SlimDrivers. I encourage you to scan your computer for malware. As for your driver problem, I need to know your operating system and the current driver version would be helpful. You can check this in the device manager as well. Attempting to update drivers through the device manager is often fruitless. It's important to understand that Microsoft only provides you with generic drivers through this service. Generic drivers provide basic functionality for a device but do not grant the same level of performance as driver specifically written for a particular device.

I can help you get the drivers you need, just need to know the OS you are using.

omegaman
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you for answering my question, Ryan. My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 installed (32 bit). Furthermore, it is Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600. The microprocessor in my Sony Vaio Desktop computer (2003) is an Intel Pentium 4, operating at 2.40 GHz, and I have up to 1 GB of system memery (I had another 512 MB DDR PC2100 (SDRAM) memory module installed by Staples, but because of more than occasional system startups, I removed it, now my computer operates fine). Not a very relevant note, but I want to add that the operating operating system is not from the original Sony VAIO PCV RX850 computer system from 2003, by the way. The new Windows XP OS was reinstalled by a computer service department in an electronics store (not by Staples), possibly because these wise technicians did not bother to uninstall the previous built-in driver for the video adapter in the motherboard, thus they did not comprehend that I wanted a new video adapter physically installed, not to be replaced (which could have been the cause of their oversight and mistake). Anyhow, I am getting longwinded and going off the topic; just thought I would add that the above Windows XP Home Edition operating system with Service Pack 3 installed was re-installed (but without the Sony Vaio desktop applications) at the end November of 2007. Furthermore, as far as I am aware, although I have a Dial-up phone Modem at 56Kbps, I try to keep up with most of the essential, and some other chosen program updates, Windows Updates, from Microsoft Updates Web Site. Thank for your consideration, and any further advice that you could add.

Sincerely,

omegaman

Ryan
04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Thank you for a detailed glance at your computer. A clean re-installation of Windows would replace the original driver provided with your computer with a generic Microsoft video adapter that provides only basic functionality (enough to make the screen work). That the OS installed now is not the original one is not a problem.

The most current driver for your video card can be found HERE (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html). Simply click the download button and run the installer once the download is complete. The installation process is simple and should only take a few moments. Your screen might go black once or twice during the installation: do not worry, this is normal.

The most current driver for your Canon scanner can be found HERE (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_lide_20#DriversAndSoftware). You only need the very first driver listed in this web page. Click on the file name and the download will begin. Installation will be similar to the video card driver.

martyall
05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks Ryan for your good write up. I really like it. I hope that I can also update my NVDIA Geforce.

Ryan
05-19-2011, 08:20 AM
martyall,

The drivers I linked to for omegaman may not be the drivers you need for your nVidia card. Did SlimDrivers recommend a driver for your video card?